Allevant believes that the health of our rural populations can be accomplished through self-discipline and community support of tools that are easily accessible to us all. MENDS® consists of 5 powerful tools to a healthy and more joyful life.
- Placing greater emphasis on a non-judgmental focus on the present rather than the stress of the past and worries of the future
- Engaging all of your senses into the present
- Emphasizing acceptance, forgiveness and gratitude
- Mindfulness by focusing on the key principles above stimulates the Pre frontal cortex (higher order brain functions including awareness and decision making) becomes thicker and the Amygdala (Fight and Flight) shrinks
- Increasing activity and exercise throughout the day has significant impact on our health and well-being
- These gains can be realized by simply participating in walking, moderate exercise for 30 minutes at least 4 times per week
- Engaging in regular exercise positively impacts our health, reduces BMI, cardiovascular risk, etc.
- Moving to a more plant-based diet with greater emphasis on vegetables, fruits, whole grains and reducing consumption of meats, fried foods, heavily processed foods
- There is increasing evidence-based literature that recognizes the benefits of a Plant-Based Diet that include the following: results in reduced BMI, diabetes, cardiovascular risk, cancer, chronic disease, etc.
Develop healthy habits, hobbies and connections
- Focusing on adapting healthy habits such as brushing and flossing regularly, using sunblock, avoiding tobacco and excessive alcohol just to name a few can have a very positive impact on our health and well-being
- Studies have demonstrated that engaging in new hobbies can improve cognitive function in older individuals
- Social engagement has been positively linked to mental health, self-esteem, cognitive functioning and physical health
- Promoting healthy sleep habits, recognition and treatment of sleep disorders positively impact outcomes, and can reduce morbidity and mortality
- Too much or too little sleep is linked to heart disease, reduced performance, impaired cognition and mortality
- Healthy sleep habits can improve health (heart disease, obesity, diabetes), impact well-being and mood, lower risk of injury, improves cognition and memory
- Greatest power of the MENDS® principles is the synergistic gains of the five components
- If we improve our sleep, we are much more likely to have the energy to exercise the next day
- If we are mindful and in the moment, we are much more likely to make healthy nutrition choices and avoid excessive calories
- Exercise has been shown to positively impact sleep
- Engaging in healthy habits, hobbies and connections can have a tremendous positive impact on our sleep, nutrition, and exercise
- Engaging in all five of the MENDS® components can result in synergistic acceleration of health and well-being